Sep 14, 2009

Food update

Today there was nothing I could eat in the DFAC (except corn) so I tried the La Briute self-heating kosher Vegetable Beef Stew in Gravy.  I liked it much better than the last meal I tried a few days ago. I would have this again.  

However, I am a bit puzzled as to why they include powdered soup in all the packages.  To make the soup you have to be able to boil water.  If you could boil water you could make food that required boiling and would be much hotter than you can get with the self-heating meals.  There is some good kosher packaged Indian food, for example, that only requires boiling.  So it seems pointless to include the soup.  

The meals come with cookies too.  The cookies are made by Zomick's by the way.  They are edible, but just OK.  Zomick's could do better.  I know.  I've tasted their stuff.  

I think that next time however, I will try to use an army MRE flameless heater to heat the meal instead of the included one.  the meal did not get as hot as I would have liked.  I think the army's heaters are better (surprisingly). I let you know how that works out.  I might try using both the army's and the included one at the same time.  Also, the Army's MRE meals come in aluminum bags which conduct heat better and these come in plastic containers.  So that might be why MREs get heated better.  I will have to do some experimenting with this.  


UPDATE 17 SEP 2009: I just remembered, Jews in Green did a comparison of different kosher MRE-like foods a few years back. Here is what they wrote up.

No comments:

Post a Comment