Oct 4, 2009

Jumping in head first

Since I have been here it has been pretty much non-stop work.  Lots of on the job training.  I stay on the FOB for the most part and work out of an office.  We put in 12 hour days, and don't get enough sleep.  But all in all it is not bad.  We are doing stuff that is pretty high-profile and seems to be important.  Most of my unit is training for their jobs, but the job I was given is pretty different from theirs so I just jumped right in.  There is always a lot to do and some pretty demanding people who want everything done now and done right. 
 
Everything here reminds one of a rather typical army base.  Lots of people walking around and doing their jobs.  Everyone wearing army clothing, etc.  There are concrete walls around everything, the living conditions are comfortable, but spartan. The bathrooms and showers are clean.  There is lots of food, and it is not bad. Let me know what you want to know about. 
 
I would be able to write with more frequency in the future now that my computer stuff is set up in my office.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you'll be staying mostly on base. Post more pics if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you during the first two days of yom tov. We were all together in Lawrence and toward the end of the meal of the first day of succot we composed the following short insert for bentsching:
    הרחמן הוא ישמור וינצור את חיילי ארצות הברית ובתוכם מאיר בן צבי שמואל
    Keep posting!

    October 4, 2009 5:31 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. m,
    Just got the address for you blog today from Malkie (bumped into her in ShopSmart). I will now be checking it regularly. Glad to hear you are doing well in Iraq. Interesting that you are spending Sukkot in a temporary structure in the dessert- Sukkot Mamash! May Hashem continue protect you as he did our ancestors many years ago!
    Chag Sameach!
    Yaakov

    ReplyDelete