Apr 11, 2010

In Speicher

There are a few differences I have already noticed between JBB and Speicher.  Here are some preliminary observations since I have only been here less than two weeks. . 

First, at night it is pretty dark here.  There are hardly any street lights and it is harder to ride bicycles at night.  It is harder to walk and find stuff too.  Second, things are pretty spread out here.  So there are far fewer buildings and housing areas and stores and stuff.  There is no movie theater here, I think either.  It is also much dustier here.  There is just a lot of that here.  Dust storms are common and when you ride your bike in one you feel it in your lungs and also when you wipe your face afterward.  

Let you think it is all bad, I actually am much happier here.  There are a few nice things about Speicher.  Since everything is so spread out people will stop their vehicles on the side of the road to give rides to those who are walking.  People are generally friendlier here.  I think the atmosphere is a bit more relaxed for a lot of people.  It is actually a lot quieter here.  The fighting seems much farther away.  

My room is different.  I live in a large shipping container.  It is actually fairly comfortable despite the fact that it really looks like I am living in a large shipping container.  I do not yet have TV hooked up, but I have fairly reliable, though quite slow internet.  I spend a lot of time listening to galgalaz radio for some reason.  I do not have a roommate yet and I hope to keep it that way.  

I'll write up something a bit more detailed later on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment