Nov 27, 2009

Life on JBB - Coffee

Here on JBB we have many coffee options. For starters, each of the four DFACs (Dining Facilities) has coffee machines and to-go cups. So you can get regular coffee there. They actually only have regular coffee - none of that "unleaded" stuff, as some here might call it. Actually, two of the DFACS have two coffee machines: the first is labeled "regular coffee", the second is labeled "strong coffee".

The DFAC closest to my room has the worst coffee of the four DFACs on JBB and their to-go cups don't work well either. They have those Styrofoam cups with those clear flat plastic lids that belong on cups of soda and always manage to drip. The DFAC nearest my work makes a pretty good coffee and they also have decent to-go cups too. The good cups are those paper cups with white plastic lids with the little hole for drinking. The DFAC I usually go to for lunch has good coffee but bad cups. I try to take a stash of the good cups with me to use in the morning when I make my morning coffee. I also try to grab a whole bunch of those tiny little cups of flavored creamer that they have. Those do not need refrigeration, so I can keep them in my room. I do not have a refrigerator, so I cannot take milk back to my CHU.

In my CHU I have a French Press to make coffee, and I also have a plastic thingy that makes a good drip coffee, like a coffee maker would. I have plenty of regular coffee maker coffee around. I use the French Press on Sundays when I have some time to clean it. I prefer French pressed coffee, but without a sink, cleaning the press is annoying and time consuming. Mostly I make instant coffee. Starbucks has good fine powdery instant coffee that I was sent (THANKS!). I am growing to like that (and also running out; hint hint). I have those tea-bag-like Folger's instant coffees which are OK too in a pinch.

There are also at least two stores that sell coffee here on JBB. First there is a Cinnabon store near the PX where you can buy a fairly decent cup of coffee and there is at least one and maybe more, Green Beans Coffee, one (I think) on the Air Force side of the FOB and the other on my side but inside an Air Force compound.

My office also has a few coffee machines, but for some reason I have never had coffee from them. Believe it or not, I'm trying to cut down.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe there's a Cinnabun. That is simply shocking. Are there other mall stores, like Gamestop and Ann Taylor Loft? I guess it's a good thing that they try to provide you with some amenities from home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Ann Taylor Loft or Gap outlet. There is a Subway, a Burger King (I think), a Pizza Hut, a Taco Bell and a Popye's Chicken and some other places I don't eat in.

    ReplyDelete